Continuing its foray into connected home video cameras and home entry systems, Amazon today acquired Blink, a 2016 startup that specializes in wireless video security cameras and monitoring systems as well as a new video doorbell announced on Dec. 19th and due for release next year.
The financial terms of the acquisition remain undisclosed, for now, and at this stage, nothing changes at BLINK; the company will continue to operate as it had been before the buy-off.
“We’re excited to announce that Blink has been acquired by Amazon! Since launching in early 2016, we’ve been thrilled by your response to our ultra-affordable, truly wire-free video home security cameras and monitoring systems,” BLINK announced the takeover on its website.
“If you own one of our systems, nothing changes for now. We’ll continue to operate under the Amazon umbrella selling and supporting the same great products you know and love. It’s Day 1 for us at Amazon, and we’re looking forward to seeing what we can deliver to our customers together,” the announcement further read.
In an email to The Verge, Amazon confirmed the takeover.
“As one of [Blink’s] distributors, we already know customers love their home security cameras and monitoring systems. We’re excited to welcome their team and invent together on behalf of customers.”
Blink followed up the January 2016 launch of its original camera, with an infrared night vision outdoor camera, the Blink XT, in December that year. Earlier this week, the startup introduced its first battery-powered video doorbell with ‘instant-on motion detection’ and ‘infrared night vision’ among other useful features.
Amazon’s acquisition of Blink does not really come as a surprise after the retail giant launched the Amazon Key and the Amazon Cloud Cam early last month.
Deliverymen can enter the home of a person who has installed the Amazon Key in his/her absence to deliver a product he/she has ordered online from the retailer.
The homeowner can watch the delivery in real time, unlocking the door for the delivery person to enter and locking it after he delivers whatever he has to and exits the home.
Priced at $250, the Amazon Key Kit comes with an Amazon Cloud Cam – a 1080p full HD, night vision indoor security camera as well as a compatible smart lock and an app.
Amazon Key ($250)
Amazon Key In-Home Kit includes: Amazon Cloud Cam (Key Edition) indoor security camera and compatible smart lock
- Not at home? Not a problem. As a Prime member, you can get packages securely delivered into your home without being there. Plus, grant access to the people you trust, like your family, friends, dog walker, or house cleaner—no more leaving a key under the mat.
- Secure access. The In-Home Kit features the Amazon Cloud Cam (Key Edition) indoor security camera and an Amazon Key-compatible smart lock.
- Real-time notifications. We’ll send notifications the morning of delivery, just before, and right after. Watch your delivery happening live or view a video clip of it later.
- Stop making spare keys. Give family and friends temporary, recurring, or permanent access. Or provide one-time access for your electrician or dog walker. You’re in control—just schedule the date and time window.
- Check in on your front door 24/7. The Amazon Key In-Home Kit includes an Amazon Cloud Cam (Key Edition) indoor security camera with 1080p Full HD, night vision, and more—plus an Amazon Key-compatible smart lock for secure access control.
- Free installation. Get the Amazon Key In-Home Kit installed for free by a professional. Just schedule your installation appointment during checkout.
- Exclusively for Prime members in select cities and surrounding areas. Enter your zip code to see if Amazon Key is available in your area. Check back as we expand to more cities. (www.amazon.com)
And here’s the list of Blink products
Blink Indoor Camera
The Blink Indoor Camera comes in wire-free one-camera as well as two-camera systems. Both include a sync module starter set.
Priced at $99 and $169.99, respectively, they are cheaper than other camera security systems with no subscription fees or data storage charges.
The product features HD video, temperature sensor, motion detection, instant alerts, live view and a low-light illumination.
Like the Blink Indoor, the Blink XT also has no subscription fees or data storage charges. It comes in one-outdoor-camera and three-outdoor-camera systems, which include features such as HD video, temperature sensor, motion detection, instant alerts, live view, weatherproofing for outdoor use, and infrared night vision.
The one-camera system is priced at $129.99 while the three-camera pack costs 319.99, much lower than other similar systems.
Blink Video Doorbell
Blink’s latest product, the low-priced battery-powered video doorbell was announced earlier this week and will hit the stores in 2018.
With the Blink Video Doorbell, you will be able to greet your guests from wherever you may be in the world.
Whether you are in your house, in the vicinity, in a different city or another country, with the Blink Video Doorbell you will be able to see and speak to anyone who approaches your door via live video and two-way audio that the product affords.
Not only that, the BVD will even notify you of intruders with “instant-on motion-activated alerts right to your smartphone.”
Here are the main features of the Blink Video Doorbell
- Live View
- Instant-On Motion Detection
- Free Cloud Storage
- Wire Free
- Weather Proof
- Video Alerts
- 2-Way Audio
- Infrared Night Vision
- 2 Year Battery Life
- Easy Setup
- Mobile App
- HD Video
*Price starts at $99 for existing Blink customers.